Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer


About the Village Hall

(With thanks to the Community Council page, located at:

The village hall buidling was originally built for use as a Granary in the 18th century.

An example of an 18th Century Granary - Built on staddlestones
An example of an 18th century Granary – Built on Staddlestones to protect the contents from damp and vermin

The walls are very thick as they were constructed from clay lump (known also as ‘cob’), a traditional East Anglian building material made from compacted clay/chalk with straw cuts.

Example of a Clay Lump Wall
Example of a Clay Lump Wall

The building was used for various purposes over the years, including a chicken hut, a workshop, a caravan business and a storage place for ammunitions during WWII.

It was converted to a village hall in 1949 and was given registered charity status.

The native English trees at the front of the village hall were donated by South Norfolk Council’s Tree Warden in 2002 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee, these were planted out by village volunteers.

Trees outside the Hall
Trees outside the Hall

In 2019, some major refurbishments were undertaken including laying cement foundations, and the floor of the main hall replaced with modern laminated planking.

Refurbishment work
Laying cement foundations under the main hall floor

There is gallery of images of the refurbishment work located HERE
As well as the flooring, the hall has undergone further improvements including new toilets, a new kitchen facility and the installation of modern LED lighting panels in both rooms.

For more information about the facilities that the Village Hall can offer, see the following page: FACILITIES
For a map or to contact members of the Village Hall committee, see this page: CONTACT US